Birchbox Review: Cher’s Surprises!
I am a product junkie. I have hundreds of nail polishes, dozens of face washes, makeup galore, and rows upon rows of hair products. It was merely a natural progression that I stumbled upon Birchbox last year to begin receiving luxe samples of hand-picked products every month.
What is Birchbox, you ask? Well, it is an “invite only” subscription based service that sends you a box filled with surprise samples of beauty products each month. Since it was an invite only website, I had to patiently wait for my email invite to the site. When I received the invitation, I immediately signed on and took an introduction survey so they could better gauge the products I’d be interested in sampling. It’s a fun idea that costs about $10 per month (there are different subscription lengths and levels) and is perfect for beauty junkies like Lauren and me. If you are ever interested in purchasing the full sized item, the beauty is that you can simply purchase those items directly from the Birchbox site. Genius!
Anyways, I received my first Birchbox in March and I was so excited to open the contents of my box that I almost flew home a day early from a business trip just to tear the box open (just kidding, of course!).
Here is what a Birchbox looks like – it’s really cute, isn’t it?!:
Now, let’s take a look at the six items inside my Birchbox, along with mini-reviews on each product.
1. Color Club Neon Nail Polish in Age of Aquarius – I absolutely adore this color! I used it as the base for my floral nails seen here. It is the perfect aqua neon shade and will look great on your toes as they dig into the sand.
2. Stila Smoky Eye Shadow – I used these three shades (along with my own brushes) to apply a smoky eye for a girls’ night out. I am obsessed with two out of the three colors, the champagne (Kitten) and the greige (Diamond Lil). I could live without the sparkly black (Ebony), only because I have about ten million shades exactly like it.
3. Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Cleanser – Since I’m in Los Angeles right now, I brought this along as my travel face wash to use while I’m away. I really love the scent of this face wash (lemon, aloe, and cherry) but was thrown off by the color at first (it’s muddy brown). It seems to be a great product for people like me with oily skin – it helps keep the skin matte and clean and has tons of vitamins to brighten up the complexion. I’m definitely going to look into purchasing a full size bottle of this.
4. Lulu Organics Lavender + Clary Sage Hair Powder – I’m still on the fence with this product. The sample came in a little cardboard pouch so applying this to my roots was kind of awkward. The smell was a bit reminiscent of products I used to discover in my grandmother’s powder drawer, but I’m not sure how I feel about it for my hair. It did a good job of soaking up oil at the scalp (once I actually found a way to apply it to my scalp!) and it is eco-friendly, which is always a plus in my book. However, I think I will pass on this hair powder and stick to dry shampoos.
5. Tea Forte Skin Smart Teas – I’m not a big tea drinker, but I was certainly willing to give this product a shot to help rejuvenate my skin. This tea sampler came with three different flavors, including Cucumber Mint, Cherry Marzipan, and Honey Yuzu, and so far, I’ve only tried the Cherry Marzipan. It has an almond flavor to it and is supposed to reverse the signs of fine lines and wrinkles. We’ll see!
6. Harvey Prince Yogini Perfume – I really enjoyed this scent! It is a very light fragrance but has a mood-elevating blend of scents to help melt the stress away. It’s marketed as the fragrance equivalent of yoga class! I tried it pre-flight and although I didn’t feel any more relaxed (hello, turbulence!), it was pleasant and clean smelling – always a plus for me!
So, what do you all think about Birchbox? Is this a service you’d be interested in trying? If so, click here to sign up!
Filed under: Fashion and Beauty | 3 Comments
Tags: birchbox, birchbox product reviews, sign up for birchbox